Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Dangers of Herbal use For Transgender HRT

I made a post a while back in which I argued for the availibility of information regarding Herbals used for Hormone Replacement Therapy for Transgender folks.
I now need to clarify some of that in light of new information.

While I don't agree with the lack of information, (which is why I post this here) I do agree that they are not nessicarily safe.

One of the points listed is that to get any noticeable effect, one must take handfulls at a time.
This does increase breast growth that is noticable, but it is slight.

There are also some inherant dangers that need to be pointed out.

Most herbals (phyto-estrogen, etc.) contain Black Cohosh. A blood thinner.
Now while in small doses, this might be fine, in large this could be potentially quite dangerous.

I recently discovered some information sent to me in a personal message regarding herbals that brings up somthing more serious. This information comes from Laura Amato, the proprietor of Lauras Playground, a Transgender resource website.
I will quote some of this here: 
  "I have used herbals myself as have many users. I did get some slight growth but not enough to transition on. I also got something else I didn't bargain on, a stroke. The problem is there is a GG recommended dose and an MTF dose which is far higher because they have to take megadoses to get even a small effect."

it continues: "...I've recieived quite a few (emails) from herbal users. 36 Had strokes and 3 had heart attacks. I've had both."

This is quite  important. If using herbals is known to cause heart attacks and strokes, then they must be treated as highly dangerous.
The problem may lie in the aforementioned presence of Black Cohosh, but only a biochemist or doctor could know for sure.
Nevertheless, the practical experience of these people suggests that the use of herbals for the purpose of HRT is very risky, and possibly life threatening.
Those who wish to do so, do so at their own risk.
Personally, I'd rather get the real thing from a pharmacy.

The brands listed included Evenesce, Natures Day, And Transformations (considered the most dangerous)